REVISED SCHOOL TRANSPORT
As per the Guidelines provided by the CBSE & The Road and Transport Authority (RTA) , LSeS has summarized the benefits of these laws as providing comfort, security and safety for students and parents alike. These benefits include reaching schools on time, reducing pollution emission resulting from vehicle exhausts and reducing traffic jams.
On the directions of the Supreme Court of India for the School Bus:
Exterior of the School Bus:
- “School Bus” must be written on the back and front of the Bus.
- If it is a hired bus, “On School Duty” should be clearly indicated.
- All school buses are mandated to have an external colour of Golden Yellow.
- For Identification, a band of 150mm wide of ‘Golden Brown ‘colour might be provided on all sides of the bus below the window level. The school name, address and telephone no must be written clearly.
- Details of the Driver,( name , address, licence number, badge number)and telephone of the school or bus owner,
State Transport department helpline no, Registration no of the vehicle shall be displayed at prominent places inside
and outside the bus in contrast color. This should be clearly visible to all passengers in the bus, public,
so that in case of necessity the school authority, police or other authorities can be informed.
Interior of the School Bus:
- The windows of the bus should be fitted with horizontal grills and mesh wires/ five horizontal bar grill.
- The door of the bus should be fitted with reliable locks that can be locked.
- Emergency exits are mandatory on all school buses. Children should be trained to operate these doors. “EMERGENCY EXIT” must be written inside and outside the bus.
- A tamper-proof speed governor should be provided to ensure the driver doesn’t cross the speed limit of 40 km/ph
- There must be two Fire Extinguisher of ABC type of 5 kg capacity having ISI mark. in the Bus. One near the driver cabin and the other near the emergency exit. Avoid contact with the Children.
- Training to be imparted to the driver, lady attendant to operate the fire extinguisher.
- The seats of the students should be of non combustible material for safety of children.
- The windows of the bus should not be fitted with glass having film or curtains.
- There should be sufficient white light inside the bus.
- Activities inside the school bus should be visible from outside when the bus is plying on the road.
- School bus should be fitted with Alarm bell or Siren so that incase of emergency everyone can be alerted.
- School bus must have a First-Aid-Box and Drinking water.( not to be given to students to drink, only to be used in emergency)
- GPS and CCTV have been made compulsory in school buses.
- The footage of the CCTV must be kept for 60 days and must be handed over to the police in case of any investigation purpose. They must be kept in working conditions at all times
- To keep School Bags safely, there should be a space-fitted under the seats. If the space fitted is above the seat , care should be taken by the lady attendant while children keep the school bags.
- If the age of school children is below 12 years, then the number of children carried shall not exceed 1½ times the permitted seating capacity. Children above 12 years shall be treated as one person.
- Overcrowding of School bus will be prohibited.
Man power in the school bus:
- The transport vendor will designate a Transport Manager / Supervisor who will be entrusted with the safety of the students travelling in the school bus. The contact details of the transport vendor/ supervisor will be displayed inside and outside the school bus.
- The driver of the school bus must have a valid driving license and have a minimum 5 years of experience of driving heavy vehicle.
- The driver of the school bus will compulsorily wear an uniform as prescribed by RTO. His name ID and name of owner of the bus to be displayed on the shirt.
- The bus driver must carry a complete list of the children being ferried in the school bus , indicating the name, class, residential address, blood group and the points of stoppage, route plan, etc. Along with relevant documents of the bus.
- In addition school buses may have a conductor having a valid license , uniform and name ID and having relevant qualification as per the Motor vehicle rule.
- A trained lady attendant in uniform and name ID must be available in each school bus who ensures the safety of the students, attendance of students and helps students to board and deboard the school bus.
- Driver/ lady attendant of a particular route must have any one parent’s mobile number of the child using the transport.
- In case of any delay / breakdown / change in the driver or attendant an SMS Alert must be given to the parents using the transport.
- No child will be dropped en-route, It is expected of all drivers to pick and drop any child only on the pick up and drop point.
- Voluntary involvement of parents is permissible in a limited capacity in overseeing the safety of the van.
- Entering school bus is restricted to authorized people only i.e. the school bus Driver, lady attendant, bus manager/ supervisor , authorized school teacher . Any other person should not be allowed to enter the school bus.
- Voluntary involvement of parents is permissible in a limited capacity in overseeing the safety of the bus.
- In case, an authorized does not come to pick the child from the halting point, the child shall be taken back to the school and the parent will be called to pick up the child.